Monday, December 28, 2009

2009...What A Year...

As a new year approaches, I am reflecting back on what year 2009 has been. Gosh, it seems like we were just packing and heading to Greensboro, NC for our annual New Years trip to ring in '09! Since then a lot has happened!! We created a nursery in our house, we celebrated the impending arrival of Sweet Pea with family and friends, I had my last day at my oh-so-wonderful job (I miss all those ladies tons though I wouldn't trade where I am for the world!), I coordinated the first statewide conference of the adult sibling group in TN...and then our lives changed forever. Our hearts grew tenfold (at least). Our family was and continues to be blessed. Baby K was born. April 29. Man, what a journey. Parenthood is the most challenging and rewarding job there has ever been. I was sitting playing with Baby K tonight, and the sound of her laugh rights all the wrongs of the world. My heart just smiles everytime I see that gummy grin of hers. Becoming parents has taken mine and Brad's relationship to a whole new level - I love seeing him as a daddy. To have been the guy that would never even touch a baby, he has embraced his new role and I love seeing him do just about anything goofy to make Baby K grin. I love that he gets her in her jammies for the night while I get her bottle ready - when I walk in, they are usually rocking and reading a book. I love the little things for sure. These last 8 months have literally flown by. I honestly have no idea where they went! Baby K has grown leaps and bounds and continues to amaze us with her curiosity, feistiness, and zest for life. It's amazing that she's already had her first bath, first smile, sat up, first cereal, first baby food, first rolling over, first time sleeping in her crib, first time with a babysitter....wow. I know there are so many more firsts that are so exciting, but I just can't believe all that has already happened.

In 2009, we were still able to travel a little bit! We took our first family trip (including Sadie!) to the beach and Baby K went on an airplane for the first time to visit Nanny and Papa in Phoenix. We also went to Louisville when Baby K was just 7 weeks old to celebrate my grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary. We went to Memphis for a night for a holiday party. I'd say Baby K has done pretty well - she will have visited 4 states by the time she is 8 months old (we are heading to the beach in NC tomorrow)!

We continue to be blessed with wonderful family and friends. I look forward to 2010 when two of my best friends will get married. I am so lucky that I will be there to help them celebrate such an important and wonderful time in their lives. We are blessed with good health. We are blessed that Brad has a great job and that I am able to stay at home with Baby K. This year I also started a part-time job. In August, I began working 8 hours, from home, doing what I love - I am the Sibling Project Coordinator. Come January 1, I will begin taking on more responsibilities and work 16 hours from home. I will be the sole person responsible for all of the programs offered to people that have siblings with disabilities. I can't wait to see what happens, as I hope to grow the programs this year.

We are blessed. And I can't wait to see what blessings 2010 has to bring...

No comments:

Post a Comment