Wednesday, January 14, 2009

24 Weeks - Ear of Corn

Your baby's growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts him at just over a pound. Since he's almost a foot long (picture an ear of corn), he cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but his body is filling out proportionally and he'll soon start to plump up. His brain is also growing quickly now, and his taste buds are continuing to develop. His lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help his air sacs inflate once he hits the outside world. His skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.

Pretty crazy to think about having something the size of an ear of corn in my belly!! I have several other posts to do, but they may have to wait until sometime over the next few days. I am just exhausted this week! I had my glucose tolerance test on Monday at my monthly doctor's appointment. It was also wonderful to hear the baby's heartbeat again - that sound never gets old!

Brad and I joined the local Recreation Center tonight and worked out. Yay us! I am looking forward to going and walking on the treadmill and participating in their prenatal water fitness and yoga classes. Gotta stay in as good of shape as possible so that the birth goes smoothly (and the weight doesn't pile on)! Look for more updates over the next couple of days!!

No comments:

Post a Comment