Friday, October 7, 2011

Foodie Friday: Roasted Chicken with Pesto Potatoes

 Welcome back to another edition of Foodie Friday! This week's recipe is SUPER easy and was pretty tasty.  There are a few things I would change about the recipe, so be sure to take a look what I have to say about that!  I actually got this recipe off the back of a bag of Simple Potatoes and had been wanting to try it for some time.  I'm glad I finally did!  Here is the recipe:
Roasted Chicken with Pesto Potatoes
Serves 8
  • 1 package Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
  • 1/4 cup refrigerated pesto with basil
  • 1 tbsp dried rosemary, crushed (*I just realized I did not crush it - oops!)
  • 1/2 tsp garlic salt
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 package (3 lbs 8 oz) fryer chicken pieces, skinned if desired 
  1. Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Spray 9x13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.  Stir together Simply Potatoes and pesto until potatoes are well coated.  Spread into thin layer in bottom of baking dish.
  2. In small bowl stir rosemary, salt, and pepper until well blended.  Rub spice mixture over chicken.  Arrange chicken, skin side up, on top of potatoes.
  3. Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until juices in chicken run clear.
So, I mentioned there are a few things I did, or would have, changed.  Instead of fryer chicken, I just used 4 chicken breasts.  I baked for 40 minutes and they were cooked all the way through (that always makes me nervous).  If/when I do this dish again, I would probably create a mixture of the spices listed above plus breadcrumbs and coat the chicken in that.  I just think it was a little bit bland with just the spices (and I even added a little garlic and red pepper flakes!).  It might also be tasty to add diced red, green, and yellow peppers to the potato mixture at the bottom of the dish.

Happy Friday! And let me know if you decide to make this.  If you do, what changes do you think you'd make?

No comments:

Post a Comment