Monday, July 11, 2011

Our Meal Swap

After a busy day running around after a toddler, or even at work, who wants to even think about cooking in the evening!? Well, my neighbor and I were talking about that and the topic of meal sharing or swapping came up. And, well, we decided to give it a try! It is so much easier to cook just a little bit more once you are in the midst of it all, so why not share! And that also means one less day per week that you have to worry about what's for dinner. So we decided to start easy. We decided Tuesdays and Thursdays would be our days to share. And it works out so great - both households have toddler girls (7 months apart), and they love to play together! So a couple weeks ago, Katie and I headed next door for dinner (Brad was getting back into town that night) and then let the girls play in their water table. And then that Friday night (worked best with our schedules), they came over and we made tacos, rice, and beans! And then we headed out into the backyard to let the girls play. It is perfect. I love having one less day to have to plan for when it comes to cooking. If we decide this is working, we may even try to do 4 days a week (each household cooks twice)! Who knows :) But for now, this is great! I am going to try to post consistently about our meal swapping and how it is working and what great new recipes I try. Between that and someone else being dependant on my cooking, hopefully there will be more accountability!

{Jill fixing her plate of beans, rice, and tacos!}
{Me fixing my plate!}

{Dessert - angel food cake, strawberries, blueberries, whipped cream, and chocolate sauce}

{Lewis and Stella playing after dinner}

{Stella trying to push Katie in the toy car!}

Last week, I had to go out of town for work and wanted to make sure Brad and Katie had some food to eat. So I made Chicken Spaghetti - and there was enough to send next door for them to enjoy for dinner! So, we are back to the routine this week - they are cooking tomorrow night and we will be cooking for Thursday night. Here is the picture of the Chicken Spaghetti - it was delicious (if I do say so myself)!


No comments:

Post a Comment