Friday, September 13, 2013

Foodie Friday: Perfect Panko Chicken with Hummus + Zesty Honey Carrots

Welcome back!  And stop the presses - I know...it has been forEVer since I've done a Foodie Friday!  Well, to be honest, it has been forEVer since I've cooked a good meal! Jack is just at an age where it is way hard to get much done since I have to chase after him!  Well, when I was walking through Publix for the groceries for the week, they were making this meal - it was delicious AND the card says it is only 20 minutes total time.  I almost hugged the woman.  I bought all the things I needed to make this and was excited and proud to announce to Brad that I was actually going to cook this week! 

Wednesday was the night and I could hardly wait.  I hoped that I could make it as deliciously as the woman at Publix.  And let me tell you.  It did not disappoint!  I could have easily eaten all of the food I prepared!  And it was so easy!  It may have taken me more like 30 minutes, but I'll take it!  And I may have given the kids snacks and put the TV on to get it made!  Here is the recipe (from the little Publix Aprons recipe card)...

Perfect Panko Chicken w/ Hummus

Ingredients:
-juice of 2 limes
-3 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
-4 chicken cutlets (about 1 lb)
-1/2 tsp kosher salt
-1/4 tsp pepper
-1 (8 oz) container deli cilantro/jalapeno hummus, divided
-3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
-2 pouches boil-in-bag rice
-3 tbsp canola oil
-1 tbsp water

 Steps:
1) Season chicken with salt and pepper.  Reserve 1/2 cup hummus for sauce, then coat both side of the chicken with remaining hummus (about 1 tbsp for each cutlet).  Place panko in shallow dish.  Dip chicken into panko (coating both sides).  Wash hands.
2) Cook rice following package instructions.
3) Preheat large saute pan on medium 2-3 minutes.  Place oil in pan, then add chicken; cook 3-4 minutes each side or until 165 degrees F.
4) Combine reserved 1/2 cup hummus with cilantro, lime juice, and water; drizzle sauce over chicken. Serve.

*560 calories for 1/4 of the recipe!*

Zesty Honey Carrots

Ingredients:
-1 (16 oz) bag dip chip cut carrots
-2 tbsp honey
-2 tsp chili powder
-1/4 tsp kosher salt
-1/4 tsp pepper

Steps:
1) Place carrots in microwave-safe dish and cover; microwave on HIGH 4-5 minutes or until tender.  Drain any water in dish.
2) Whisk together in medium bowl, honey, chili powder, salt, and pepper until blended.  Stir carrots into sauce.  Serve.

*70 calories for 1/4 of recipe*

And this is what my plate looked like before I devoured everything on it!
 The meal even got the Katie Seal of Approval!  She especially loved the carrots - she asked for seconds! :)
I cannot wait to make this recipe again.  It so easy and so delicious.  Who could ask for more?! Let me know if you decide to add it to your menu plan - you won't regret it!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment