Friday, January 25, 2013

Foodie Friday: Oatmeal Banana Breakfast Muffins

This week, we followed our menu plan loosely :) We ended up picking up Newk's Monday night because we had gone out to shop at Jos A Bank's big sale and were all starving (and I didn't want to prepare anything)!  Tuesday night I had a meeting, so Brad and Katie had leftovers from the weekend.  And Wednesday night, I made the Pesto Tortellini with Pine Nuts - so easy and always a crowd favorite!  And the neighbors came to eat with us, so that was fun!

I did do some cooking this week for a breakfast item I found on Pinterest.  I had never tried to bake anything that didn't have oil or flour in it, so I decided to give it a try!  I made Oatmeal Banana Breakfast Muffins!

Here are all the ingredients in the blender.  I made the mistake of ignoring the suggestion of putting the oats in a little at a time.  Oops!  So I ended up having to take it all out into a bowl and mashing it around with a spoon.  It worked just fine but I am sure a blender or food processor would've been easier.  It's definitely times like this where I wish I had a KitchenAid Mixer - that would make me "official" ... maybe I can ask for that for birthday/Christmas this year!  I bet they go on sale on Black Friday :)  
Anyways...back to the muffins...this is what they looked like when they were done!
They are really good and filling...and only 50 CALORIES each!! I did use Splenda instead of sugar and Egg Beaters instead of eggs, so that is why they are so low in calories!  And I very badly want to try one with Nutella - but that would negate the health factor :)  When I make them again, I might try putting some cinnamon and maybe honey in them to enhance the flavor a bit.  But they are easy and delicious - I highly recommend them!  Just be sure to add the oats gradually rather than get in a hurry and pour it all together at the start! Also, on the website, there are a lot of comments of variations people have tried - ways to make it dairy free, adding pumpkin, etc!  So be sure to take a look at the comments!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment