Saturday, February 18, 2012

Homemade Heart Crayon Tutorial

I mentioned in a few posts that we made heart-shaped crayons for Katie's classmates for Valentine's Day!  I got the original idea from Pinterest (of course)!  I had planned to get a cute card made with something like "You color my world" or something like that, but it didn't happen.  So Hello Kitty, it was. 

Anyways, I used cheapy crayons so that it was easy to get the paper off (it slid right off).  I also used little bits of crayons that had broken and all of that - all kids love to break crayons and peel the paper off, right?  So you probably have a lot of the bits and pieces, and the kiddos can help peel the paper off too!  So here is the bag of crayons.  Doesn't it look neat and colorful?
I then took a soft hammer (rubbery) to the bag to break it into teeny pieces.  Here is the after-the-beating picture of the crayons! 
 I had gotten some heart shaped ice cube trays from the dollar bin at Target (I think), so I loaded the up with the crayon bits.  One thing I forgot to do was grease each opening to make the crayons easier to get out.  I do recommend that.
 I baked them in the oven at 225 for about 15 minutes.  I recommend just staying close and keeping an eye on them.  Maybe set it for 10 minutes first and go from there.  Here they are in the oven.  Clearly I put the trays on a cookie sheet to keep them level.
 I baked them until it was liquid-y and all melted.
 And then I took them out of the oven and let them cool off all the way.  I even put them in the freezer for a little while to help them cool off more quickly!  It would have been easier to pop them out of the molds had I sprayed them down, so definitely do that :)  Just in case, you may want to use molds/trays that you don't mind tossing...ya know, just in case!
And you're done!  I think I am going to do something similar as part of the goodies for Katie's 3rd birthday party!  Have fun making your own!  The sky is the limit as far as shapes go!!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment